Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Prepare Ye The Way

The name of John the Baptist immediately starts the song "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" from Godspell running through my mind.   During high school, I played that album so much I knew all the songs and I suppose that shares my age.  The image of John the Baptist I see in my mind is not the hippie John of Godspell, rather it is probably one from a children's book of Bible stories.  He is dressed in animal skins with long, wild hair eating bugs!  There is something about the story of John the Baptist that, unlike most Biblical characters, has implanted such sharp images into my mind.  Usually the story is what stays with me, but the mention of John the Baptist provokes pictures and sounds. 

John knew that Jesus was the Son of God, the Anointed One, the Lamb of God, the Messiah, the One with God from the beginning!  He not only knew who Jesus was; he was actively preaching for all to prepare themselves, to accept and follow  Him.  Our faith, like John's, impresses on us the need to share our conviction of Jesus as the Son of God, as the Alpha and Omega!  We, too, must prepare the way for Jesus' coming again.  We must prepare ourselves AND share with others.  Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord!


No comments: