Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Hymn - O For A Closer Walk With God

O for a closer walk with God,
...a calm and heavenly frame,
a light to shine upon the road
that leads me to the Lamb!

Return, O holy Dove, return,
sweet messenger of rest;
I hate the sins that made thee mourn,
and drove thee from my breast.

So shall my walk be close with God,
calm and serene my frame;
so purer light shall mark the road
that leads me to the Lamb.

Words: William Cowper, 1772
Music: Caithness; Charles Villiers Stanford, arr.


The Trinity Choir of Trinity Church in Boston, Massachusetts performing O For Closer Walk With God by Charles Villiers Stanford. From their album With Heart & Voice, directed by Brian Jones.


There are not many recordings of this beautiful anthem, so I decided to upload it. The photo is the property of Evandro Antunes.

1 comment:

robert said...

"O for a Closer Walk with God" was written 241 years ago today. If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.