Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Justification by Faith

In the lectionary this week, Paul has been speaking to me as much as those in the Church in Rome (Romans 2:12-4:25). Paul reminds me that I am unrighteous and cannot become righteous by my works. Before I can sink into hopelessness, Paul reminds me that God has provided righteousness for all people. Through grace and mercy God has justified us all by faith. A specific faith in a specific person, Jesus Christ, is the only path to righteousness before God. We are granted right-standing with God because of our trust in the death and resurrection of Jesus. Alleluia!

On another note, I loved the psalm appointed for Friday night. Psalm 91 is one of my favorites. I often use it during Compline. I also love “On Eagle’s Wings” which is based on this same psalm. Although written about thirty years ago, I find it so reassuring and uplifting today.

No comments: