Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Daily Lectionary

I have been reading the daily lectionary readings for a year now! It has been an amazing journey and one that I will continue. Over the years I have been involved in many Bible studies including Education for Ministry , but this journey through the lectionary is more of a devotional reading of Scriptures for me.

Richard J. Foster , in Celebration of Discipline, writes:

We must understand, however, that a vast difference exists between the study of Scripture and the devotional reading of Scripture. In the study of Scripture a high priority is placed upon interpretation: what it means. In the devotional reading of Scripture a high priority is placed on application: what it means to me.
Each morning I go to my special prayer spot and begin The Daily Office with Morning Prayer including the lectionary readings for the day. I am a morning person so I do all three readings during Morning Prayer. I write some of my musings on the readings in my journal. Most days I find a particular verse or two seems to stay in the forefront of my mind and heart throughout the day. Yesterday’s special verse was from the morning psalm:


Your word is a lantern to my feet and a light upon my path.
(Psalm 119:105)

I will be writing about my journey each Thursday and hope to hear from others with your insights, thoughts, disciplines and musings. If you think you might benefit from this journey, you can find the daily readings in The Book of Common Prayer pages 936-1001. Today’s readings are listed on page 971 (Year 2, Proper 6, Thursday). Do you love reading from the computer? You can subscribe at http://www.dailylectionary.org/ and receive the daily readings in your email.   I am always interested to hear the inspirations received by others on particular verses.  Blessed reading!

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you,
Beth

No comments: